Welcome to the DEPOT shelf in the Railroad Display Case.
This page by Jerry Wilkinson
Long Key was the only scheduled mandatory stop
from the mainland to Key West. It was normally a 20 minute stop as the
Flagler Hotel System Long Key Fishing Camp was located there. Note that
it is elevated.
A second view of the Long Key Depot. To the left
of the photo was the ocean and the Long Key Hotel for the fishing camp.
To the photo's right was the boat docks and employee housing.
This is an early view of the Marathon Depot and
is looking northeast. Note the semaphore signal has both arms down to stop
traffic in both directions.
Judging by the architecture, this does not appear
to be a Flagler built depot even though the photo is labeled as the depot.
Chase was the center of the artificial sponge cultivation community.
Probably the largest crowd to ever gather for
a single event was the estimated 10,000 that Henry Flagler drew for his
arrival in Key West.
Another view of the Key West Depot and a large
The Hurricane of 1935 doomed the railroad
and this is a view of the Key West depot some years later. Parts of the
original depot remain on the Naval Station Annex on Trumbo.
Return to the Page 1, or
Return to the Railroad Display Case