Building the railroad that Went to Sea with photos.
Welcome to the Locomotive Room.
By October 1906 significant progress on
railroad bed preparation had been made throughout the Upper Keys.
Track had been completed to Jewfish Creek by November. Work on the Jewfish
Creek Bridge was delayed so it was decided to barge a work train across
An untitled newspaper clipping dated October 29,
1906 stated: "Some weeks ago engine No.10, intended for use in construction
work on the Keys, arrived from St. Augustine. This morning the same engine
and several box and flat cars were sent down the line to Homestead, then
south 17 miles on newly constructed track to the coast of Jewfish Creek.
At that place they loaded onto barges and ferried across the stream to
Key Largo. Engineer Goethe had the honor to pull the first train of cars
on the Florida Keys."
Regardless we have a series of three photos
of the moving operation.
Old Ten Spot is shown here on the barge on Lake
Above track is being laid to drive No. 10 off
Here No. 10 is rolling off onto Key Largo. She
will be ferried across Long Key to Key Vaca November 5, 1907.
From another untitled newspaper clipping, but
dated January 21, 1907: "Engine No. 11 for the extension was brought down
by Conductor Yarborough and Engineer David. It is the same type machine
as Engines Nos. 10 and 12, which have already been brought here and assigned
to extension work. No. 11 will be used to haul freight and supply trains
between Miami and Jewfish Creek." Engine No. 12 will be ferried onto Stock
Island June 26, 1910. Engine No. 10 followed on September 3, 1910. All
three were made in 1892 and were the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement.
Not much is known about this locomotive except
it was made in 1897 and was a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement..