Overseas Highway Case
Welcome to the Ferry Boats of the Overseas
This page by Jerry Wilkinson
The first Overseas Highway was known for its 40-mile
water gap between Lower Matecumbe Key and No Name Key. This was serviced
by twice a day ferry service. The cost was $3.50 for cars under 14 feet
and $6.50 for those over 16 feet.
The trip took from four to five hours.
In June of 1929 the road from Hog Key to Grassy
Key was completed reducing the trip to two 14-mile trips and vehicle service
to the Marathon area.
The ferry Monroe County was the one at Lower Matecumbe
Key when the 1935 Hurricane struck on Sept. 2, 1935. It and the railroad
were severely damaged.
After the hurricane, two Mississippi River stern
wheelers (the Pilgrim and the Traveler) were converted to
vehicle ferries. Two would ply between No Name and Hog Keys and two between
Grassy and Lower Matecumbe Keys. Time for maintenance was a problem.
At their best, the ferry service was inadequate
to provide Key West the needed transportation service. From 1935 to 1938
a through highway was negotiated and constructed. The follow the history,
click HERE , or:
Return to the Overseas Highway Display case,
Read the history of the Overseas Highway, or
Return to Transportation Room